Sunday 20 May 2012

Mont Blanc Training, MS Fun Run & Kathmandu RNP

This week has been really focused on cardio with lots of running.

A serious and good training leading up to climbing Mont Blanc, could either be:
  • running three times a week for one hour or
  • hiking every weekend and climbing an elevation of 1800 meters
 for the three months prior to the climb.

Living in Sydney sadly, we do not have many of these elevations around so my training is mainly focusing on the running! Though I plan on going back to Mt Kosciuszko prior to going to France.

I really love running back home from work. I found it the best way to finish the day and let off some steam. My running itinerary takes me from the city through the botanic gardens, the Opera house, circular quay, across the Harbour bridge and then uphill  to the North Shore.

With daylight savings, I am now running after dark (very handy & safer to wear reflective materials and headlights) and Sydney by night is just splendid. Feel really grateful to be able to live, work and run in such a beautiful city and environment! And I also love the fact that door to door I am actually faster than the bus at peak hour and not polluting a bit!  

I also ran this morning around Luna Park and Balls Head. I am currently preparing for the MS fun run on June 3rd (and also for the Kathmandu Adventure Race at the Royal National Park next weekend). The MS Fun Run is a great initiative to raise funds and awareness around Multiple Sclerosis (MS). It is a great run, in the words of the organisers: "A challenging route through picturesque harbour-side streets from Milsons Point to Balls Head Reserve and return. Finish with a sprint down the famous Luna Park boardwalk".

I did the run two years ago and finished second of my category in 31mins 52s. While I did not train seriously for this race leading up to it this year, I went for a trial run this morning and did the itinerary in just under 36mins. So not quite there! A few minutes to shave off!

Will be running twice next week (not including the Kathmandu Adventure Race) and plan on doing the MS Fun Run itinerary a few times before the race. It is a tough race with lots of up and downs to be done at a fast pace but again, a beautiful scenery which makes it really worthwhile! Whether you walk it or run it, it is a great way to exercise, make a difference for people with MS and enjoy a beautiful scenery. I highly recommend doing it!


3 comments:

  1. I have my money on 31m 51s

    ReplyDelete
  2. how was the wet race yesterday ? muddy eh ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Rosa and Pierre!

    Sadly I have been down with a viral infection in the last few days and have been in no shape to race/run. So no race for me yesterday.

    Will publish a post this evening about it and also how to best prepare for a running race!

    ReplyDelete